Thursday, January 6, 2011

myTouch 4G (T-Mobile): Spectacular phone, sub-par network?




During the months of December and January, I did the 14 day trial (with my wife) with T-Mobile on with the new myTouch 4G. I had such hopes of leaving my troubles with the Samsung Moment (& Sprint's lack of support for this "phone") behind...
The MT4G is all that I want in a phone right now, but we had major issues in our area with voice calls (either dropping constantly or not being able to hear each other). The voice call issues were T-mo to T-mo, T-mo to AT&T, and T-mo to landline.


As for the phone, it rocks! One issue that is either with the phone, or possibly with the network, is that when going from "4G" service to Edge service the data connection locks up. (Sadly reminds me of how my Samsung Moment functions to some extent.) For the most part, this issue only occurred at my house when going from 4G to Edge, which happened a lot in my sunken family room. I reported this issue to HTC and T-mobile, neither had a solution: HTC offered to swap out the phones and T-mobile said they would check their network. This issue was also reported on T-Mobile's forums by other users.

Outside of the issue above, here is my impression of this phone:


Pros:


  • Fast 1 GHz 45nm processor

  • Very good battery life

  • Very good 720p video recording

  • Excellent 3.8" 247 ppi screen

  • Very good amount of RAM/ROM and SD space

  • Excellent overall size and weight


Cons:


  • Possible data lockup issue going from 4G to Edge service

  • External speaker has horrible quality

  • Usefulness of video chat is questionable (at least over 4G/Edge)


I sure did love this phone and I was sad we had to return them when our 14 days was up. There was just no way to justify the issues we were having with voice calls -- at least 50% of our voice calls had connectivity/no audio issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment